Grounding for Empaths
Grounding is a critical Empath skill. It turns our focus away from other people and back to ourselves.
The opposite of grounding is being distracted which is how Empaths end up overwhelmed by other people’s feelings.
Grounding: Empath Survival Program Technique 7
Most grounding techniques involve visualizations and meditations. These techniques didn’t work for me when I first tried to be more grounded. I would forget to do it or become frustrated that they didn’t work right away.
Here are some unconventional grounding techniques that worked really well for me.
1) Wash your hands: Washing your hands flushes out energy you might have picked up from other people. It’s a mental trigger to clean up your energy.
2) Eating: This is a delicious way to stay grounded. Pick a snack to bring along so you can munch on it when you start to feel overwhelmed.
3) Grounding Crystal. Empaths tend to be sensitive to the gentle vibration of crystals. You can discreetly wear a grounding crystals as a necklace, to keep yourself centered throughout the day. You can find Earth and Heart Grounding crystals in my Store.
4) Grounding Mudra: A grounding mudra can be used to quickly alter the flow of your energy, bringing you back to more stable grounds.
© Tony Irwin, 2015. All right reserved.
Grounding for Empath Children
As an Empath, you are more likely to recognize Empath children. Keep in mind that many Empath children are born in non Empath families, so the parents might not be interested or ready to hear about this topic. Of course, your own children might be Empaths as well.
These are typical behaviors of Impaired Empaths children who don’t know how to handle their abilities:
- Gets unusually quiet around crowds but is fine with the immediate family or smaller groups. Your child might be trying to withdrawing from overwhelming emotional situations.
- Resists going to bed or wakes up often. Your child might still internally activated by the emotional activity of adults.
- Gets physically or verbally out of control around people but is mellow at home. Your child might be trying to find an outlet to the overwhelming flow of emotional information.
Disclaimer: This checklist is not a diagnostic or treatment tool. Some of the characteristics of Empaths can be diagnosed as ADD, agoraphobia or clinical depression. Contact your health care professional if you have any questions, need diagnostic or treatment for a mental health issue.
Keep in mind that children can learn how to manage their Empath abilities by watching us handle ours. If you’re an Empath but don’t know how to handle it, practice your own Empath skills first!
When your child gets overwhelmed, she often just needs a point of reference to stay grounded: You can be that anchor.
1) Calm your own emotions. You can’t be a positive anchor if you’re upset or angry.
2) Tell her to “Look at you” (point to your eyes) and put your hand on her chest. Make sure you have eye contact
3) Tell her “We’re going to take 5 breaths together and count them“. Let your child breathe however she wants. You’re just accompanying her, counting out loud with each exhalation.
Breathing quiets down emotional noise, re-centers the mind and helps children feel empowered by having something they can do when they feel uncomfortable. You can include this grounding exercise in your night time routine!