Realizing that you’re an Empath can be a bit traumatic.
You can feel it happening. Woa, here comes a wave of emotions…
You can understand how it works. Woa, those are not my emotions…
And yet you can’t find your instruction manual, specifically the “troubleshooting” section. What can you DO to tame and train your Empath skills?
Empath Training is like learning a new sport:
1) Learn the rules of the game.
2) Practice. Practice. Practice.
Most Empaths struggle with debilitating side effects which is why I call them Impaired Empath©.
While being an Empath can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience, you might be trying to drink from a fire hydrant if you can’t control the “flow” of emotional information that comes through you.
Ultimately, every Empath is different and the kind of training that you need will also be somewhat unique. But you can get started by covering the basics…
Learning how the Empath process unfolds in your life is critical. If you don’t know how and when you get triggered, you cannot learn to control your natural empath skills. See this post for a discussion on this topic.
If you find yourself emotionally overwhelmed on a regular basis, take a look at the Empath Survival Program©. There’s 7 Empath training techniques that cover the most challenging situations.
Here’s when to use each one:
- Technique 1: You feel overwhelmed while you’re talking to someone; a friend, your husband, your clients.
- Technique 2: You are confused about how YOU feel. You’re always doing what everyone else wants.
- Technique 3: You need to go to the mall or a wedding but big excited crowds usually wipe you out.
- Technique 4: You have a hard time focusing at work. You feel cramped, invaded or wading in hostile territories.
- Technique 5: You cannot detangle yourself from your love partner. His mood is your mood. You’re practically sharing a heart…
- Technique 6: The world is oppressing you. You see only pain and suffering. You don’t feel emotionally safe around other people.
- Technique 7: You’re a headless chicken! Constantly distracted by other people’s stuff, you can’t find 2 seconds of clarity in your own life.
Once you find a technique that works for you, practice, practice practice! When I first started using Technique 1, I would do it over 100 times a day! I felt a little bit better everytime, which is why I kept doing it. Over a couple of weeks, you will feel a WORLD of difference.
“But Elise”, I hear you say, “what about AFTER the survival? Are we to be plagued with the curse of emotional sensitivity and a life a doom?” NOT AT ALL! Good question, by the way 😉
I talk with Empaths on a daily basis and it strikes me how often they have not found a way to be a Happy Empath. Really, it’s a thing!
Here’s the secret about any empath training: You are unlikely to be happy unless you learn to productively use your natural Empath skills in your daily life.
What does it mean to “productively use” my Empath skills? Well, for one thing, it means this process doesn’t hurt you. It’s not a curse that you can’t control. It’s a skill that you can use to better your life and the life of others. But how?
I’ve seen tons of productive uses, of Empath skills, including some VERY creative ones. There’s a barista at my Starbucks who can tell how people are feeling as they walk up to her, even before she looks at them. She subtly adjusts her greeting to “match” her client’s mood. Guaranteed to make you smile without overdoing it!
I know a real estate agent who can tell right away how people feel when they walk into a house. Even when THEY don’t know how they feel! So it instantly angles her in the right direction for the next house she’ll be showing them, one that is much more what they want.
I’ve met a novelist who soaks in the emotions of people who are feeling stuck and writes about that. She takes her readers on a journey that resonates with them but also shows them a way out.
There is no limit to the ways you can express your Empath skills. But it’s critical that you find something that fits YOU.
Not sure what this looks like? If you need a little clarity and intuitive insights, let’s talk! I can help you with step by step instructions on how to:
- Pin-point the technique that works best for you
- Solve a challenging situation (is your co-worker driving you crazy?)
- Discover your best fit productive outlet
- Build a vision of your Happy Empath life
You can register for a single session but I also offer heavily discounted coaching packages when you feel that this is more than a one time thing.
Elise Lebeau, Ph.D, Empath and Professional Intuitive
Love it? Share it!